Robbie’s Random Trip Tips (or R2T2, for short :), No. III
- Lookahead > Lookback. When I think of home and the kitties I get a little wistful. When I think of the road ahead I get excited. I think there is a life lesson in there somewhere…
- It’s just stuff. Given that we are taking a lap around the sun in a house without locks, you have to let go of attachments to stuff. It just can’t be made all that secure. Put locks on the bikes and hope for the best. It’s just stuff. I’m still working on this one.
- Thermos = Joy if you are a coffee addict like me. Brew up a pot in the morning and put it into a good thermos and you have coffee on demand, even in the middle of nowhere. Mmm.
- M&M’s > Chocolate Chips. As a chocoholic I am a regular snacker on Ghirardelli’s semi-sweet chocolate chips at home. However they do not handle the heat well and become a single mass of goo at the first sign of heat. The solution? M&M’s! yes, they really do melt in your mouth, not in your hand. They last in the car unrefrigerated for days with no complaints.
- Hand-held scanner = peace of mind. Journals are one of those things that would be irreplaceable on a trip like this. While they are still just stuff, they are not easily replaced. A hand held scanner can allow you to take backups of the written page and put it on a thumb drive. Way cool. It’s also a way to share them with others.
- Rite in the Rain notepads rock. They are durable and really are waterproof (yes, it has been verified, albeit through no fault of my own).
- Solar chargers are really cool in the desert. Our big Zamp array charges the car-battery-sized deep cells that keep the electric cooler humming, minus the noise and exhaust of generators.
- Impregnated Nylon shirts live up to the hype. I’ve worn one for days and it has zero odor. Compared to regular nylon this is amazing – a cycling jersey after a single ride can strike fear into the hearts of small children, yet this one just keeps going (Columbia & Exofficio brands)